Re: Linking to Search Engines

  • Subject: Re: Linking to Search Engines
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 18:03:16 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
__/ [Dustin] on Tuesday 30 August 2005 17:46 \__

> Big Bill wrote:
>> On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 05:47:26 -0600, Dustin <dustin.davis@xxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>>

>>>I read a tip from an "SEO Expert" (There seem to many self-proclaimed
>>>these days, it's really hard to tell). He suggested finding a term in
>>>majory search engines in which you appear number one, or as close to
>>>number one as possible, then include a link on your site saying "Check
>>>us out on Google" for example. Curious users might, but this is mainly
>>>so search engine's will check out that site and see how "popular" you
>>>are. Is this just an old trick, or could it actually work?

I was poised to reply this morning, but waited for someone else to have a go
before I say that I find this technique irrational.

>> Why are you getting involved in this stuff, may I ask? If we know your
>> objectives we can probably help you realise them as opposed to
>> attempting to answer questions that I don't think you've properly
>> configured anyway. What's the site you want to optimise?

It's not a question of optimisation, in my opinion. For rapid site growth,
one needs /momentum/. More links -> More SE referrals -> More visitors ->
More natural links (as opposed to synthetic one) -> more SE referrals [note
the loop]

> Well, I have several sites. The one I want to optimize the most right
> now is Nerdlance.com (hence the sig)
>
> I get all the mod-rewrite stuff and proper titles, keywords, etc. What I
> struggle with is finding ways to generate inbound links and getting the
> word out about a new site on a limited budget.

Have you tried DMOZ yet? I think you stand a chance...

I put your site in a PR4 links page.

Roy S. Schestowitz        Useless fact: There are five regular polyhedra
http://Schestowitz.com