Re: spambots going stupid?

__/ [Els] on Wednesday 31 August 2005 07:15 \__

> Hi,
>
> Lately I'm getting spam addressed in this format:
> page.html@xxxxxxxxxxx
>
> Several pages of my site have been used to form email addresses
> already. I wonder if this is a new spam trick, or just the result of a
> badly configured spambot.

I doubt it. URL's with the at symbol are arcane and very rare.

> Did anyone else encounter the same phenomenon?

At some level, yes. The addresses appear so stupid that I haven't bothered
checking them for a while. Sometimes it would be my full name (maybe they
did anchor text), sometimes domain@xxxxxxxxxx, sometimes it will be
perverse words that supposedly ought to attract my attention. info@ and
sales@ are common, webmaster@ too...

Like Tasso said, having catch-all makes it all rather transparent. I have 11
concrete boxes and the rest slips to catch-all, which typically has a
boxtrapper on top of it, so it doesn't need to get checked.