Re: *.log file analyzer

  • Subject: Re: *.log file analyzer
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 16:53:05 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.www.webmaster
__/ [www.1-script.com] on Wednesday 31 August 2005 15:45 \__

> Color wrote:
>
>> Do somebody can recommend me the *.log file analyzer. I have an
>> internet
>> corporate service and I'd like to interpretate and analyze hits to my
>> site.
>> It's should be a software not any script like php.
>
> Try Visitors 0.5 it's a compiled program, not a script hence very
> impressive performance. The stats are very nice, too. Oh, BTW, it?s GPL
> free.
>
> http://www.hping.org/visitors/

I'd stick by his recommendation (it was him who had me try it). I ran that
script just once as it is powerful when it comes to tracking referrals.
However, for anything else, at least consider AWStats, which is a Perl
script. I still use it on a daily basis.

> One thing you may not like too much is that, despite VERY good Google
> traffic analysis, Visitors is completely ignorant of all other search
> engines. With me having about 95% of the traffic from Google anyways it's
> not a big deal, but your site(s) may be different.

It sounds like the OP does not have a hard-core technical site because
he/she favours software (GUI) and not scripts. Google users are usually
more technical, at least statistically speaking. I have evidence because as
two non-technical sites are under my wing. They are not dominated and
dependent on Google referrals. I hear about similar experiences from
others.

> If money's no object (yeah, right!) try Urchin ( http://www.urchin.com/ ).
> Very detailed stats. As a matter of fact you'll stop developing your site
> because you'll be busy reading the stats ;-).  It's very expensive if you
> buy your site license yourself, however, good hosting companies purchase
> 'blanket' multi-sites licenses and are known to give them out for free
> (included in the cost that is) to their customers. Check with your
> hosting/co-lo company, see if they have Urchin license just waiting for
> you. Oh, yeah, it needs to be compiled, too.

I heard good things about Urchin so it is probably popular among the general
community. I never tried it myself though.

Roy S. Schestowitz        "How do I set my laser printer on stun?"
http://Schestowitz.com