Choose dot Files and Directories, but not ".."

Have a look at the following:

cp -R ~/.* /destination

Is there any known trick (or an option) which enables copying recursively
without ascending (or descending, depending on how you view the tree) to
top-level directories?

The above is a gross simplification of something which I run a few times a
week. I must keep an eye on the process (scp) and manually stop it before
the disk runs out of space. I must copy all files, but I just hope to find a
better solution, having spent many months accepting the deficiencies.

Cheers,