Re: Can't Defrage XP - Any Ideas?

  • Subject: Re: Can't Defrage XP - Any Ideas?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2005 03:42:01 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ray] on Monday 05 December 2005 02:46 \__

> On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 16:00:51 -0800, Skeets wrote:
>
>> i have about half a hd's worth of data, but when i defrag, the last
>> data bit is about 80% of the drive...  there are two huge empty spaced
>> - but defrag won't move the data left.  i tried dirms (do it right
>> microsoft), and it couldn't move the data either.
>>
>> any ideas?
>>
>> i want to get the data tot he left, shrink the ntfs partition and then
>> load up suse 10.
>>
>> tia...
>
> I'm certainly no MS expert, but I seem to recall there are some
> 'unmoveable' files, and some that like to reside at the end of the
> partition. I think I'd make sure I have a backup (reasonable precaution in
> any event) and then try to repartition and install.

Yes,  there will be always some 'coloured bits' spread all over the  plate
because  they are immovable. The accommodation for extra partitions is not
what a disk fragmenter had in mind. It's like using a baseball bat to swat
a fly.

Like  Linonet said, if you can't defrag it, frag it, or simply buy a sepa-
rate HDD, even second-hand. Gigabytes are dirt-cheap these days.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Did anyone see my lost carrier?"
  3:35am  up 5 days  1:02,  6 users,  load average: 0.34, 0.45, 0.44