Re: KDE 3.5 unstable?

__/ [Jan Stozek] on Wednesday 07 December 2005 07:01 \__

> Hi,
>
>         I upgraded KDE to 3.5. Since then I see a regular alert, that a
> soundserver (artsd) has crashed causing a SIGSEGV signal. Often other
> programs are being killed by SIGSEGV as well, like nspluginviewer.
> Also my konqueror was killed.
>
>         Does it mean, KDE 3.5 is still unstable, or do I have some kind of
> conflicts in my configuration?

I used get the SIGSEGV signal (quite repeatedly too) when I tries to enable
something that was not supported by X, e.g. the Composite extension (SuSE
9.3). Or maybe I am confusing two types of errors here...

>         I use SuSE 9.3.
>
>         Thanks for any hints.

This might be related to the very fact that you upgraded rather than picked
up a distribution that contained KDE 3.5 to begin with and was thus tested
for good 'all round' integration. From my mere personal experience, you are
lucky to have managed to upgrade from KDE 3.4 without dependency issues.
What does KDE 3.5 have to offer which KDE 3.4 does not have? I glanced at
the changelog, but nothing seemed to be compelling enough to require an
upgrade. Stability has been fine, let alone features and eye candy.

Best wishes,