Re: Ranking of cached pages

__/ [Sprout] on Saturday 10 December 2005 06:29 \__

> Will stopping a page from caching (with "Cache-Control: no-cache")
> adversely affect the ranking of that page in search results?

It  definitely  should,  I think. By declaring that a page should  not  be
cached,  you prevent it from being indexed as far as I can gather. I  used
to  have  such issues until I excluded pages in robots.txt. If it was  in-
dexed,  people  would find a route to it via SE's rather than by  visiting
your  site as a starting point. What I am not sure about is the separation
between  access, indexing and cache. rel="nofollow" opens the door to even
more complex circumstances that ought to be taken into consideration.

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | LINUX - (L)ove (I)s (N)ever (U)tterly eXPensive
  8:20am  up 3 days  5:31,  6 users,  load average: 0.46, 0.31, 0.31