Thunderbird Attachment Problem

Apologies in advance for a slightly off-topic post. I could not find a more
suitable newsgroup and I saw Thunderbird questions in this newsgroup before.

At present, I am using both KMail and Thunderbird. The reason: when
attachments are bound to outgoing messages they can only be sent from KMail.
6 months ago, and I suspect from the very first time that I installed
Thunderbird, warning came up if I forwarded messages as attachments;
eventually these were sent OK. I can never, however, send messages with
attachments from Thunderbird, not even simple ASCII file. Here is the error
I get:

"There has been a problem including the file <FILE> in the message. Would you
like to continue sending the message without the file? [CANCEL] [OK]"

[Thunderbird version 1.0.2, SuSE 8.2.]