Re: Firefox and bouncing cursor

  • Subject: Re: Firefox and bouncing cursor
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 18:50:55 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
__/ [Alvin] on Sunday 11 December 2005 16:50 \__

> B Gruff wrote:
>
>> I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, or just not understanding
>> something.  Would much appreciate ideas/explanation:-
>>
>> SUSE 9.3, Firefox 1.0.7
>>
>> Click (task bar) to open Firefox - 2 to 3 seconds.
>>
>> Click again (to open 2nd instance of it) - 30 seconds (bouncing cursor in
>> between)
>>
>> However, Tabs are instantaneous (my usual way of working)
>>
>> - AND (here's the puzzle) if I click on a link which "opens in a new
>> window" (e.g. a link in http://linuxhomepage.com/), a "new Firefox" comes
>> up instantly.
>>
>> Why? What have I done wrong?
>>
>> Bill
>
> My theory is that when firefox is first launched, it takes the longest to
> load. This is because various libraries need to be read, dynamically
> linked, etc. Then, when you open a 2nd instance, those libraries are cached
> and are readily available. With tabs, that's internal to firefox. That's
> why they are fastest. This also applies to clicked links. A new firefox
> instance isn't really created. The main Firefox app creates a new window.
> Can you see this for yourself. Open several firefox windows by opening the
> first using the taskbar. Then click on several links. You should see
> several firefox windows open. Then on one, click File->Quit. You'll notice
> that _all_ the firefoxes are closed.
>
> So, as far as I can tell, you aren't doing anything wrong.
>
> Alvin

In case this contributes:

It  takes me about 10 seconds to open Firefox fully (heavy plug-in bloat),
tabs  are instantaneous, new windows (once Firefox is open) can take up to
5  seconds  to appear. If this bothers you and you have plenty of  RAM  to
spare,  just leave Firefox minimised or put it in a separate virtual desk-
top. I always have XMMS, Firefox and Thunderbird in my taskbar.