Re: Removing dual boot

  • Subject: Re: Removing dual boot
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 11:17:39 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
__/ [Vance Howard] on Monday 19 December 2005 03:39 \__

> Owkmann wrote:
>> Originally I had Win98SE installed on a 2GB hard disk running on a 1GHz
>> Duron. Then I added a 40GB hard disk to this box and installed Suse 9.2 in
>> dual boot on the 40 GB drive, with Suse set as the default OS. Now, I
>> would like to remove Win98 altogether, and just boot straight to Linux.
>> Should I remove GRUB? If I do that, won't the old MBR be re-installed?
>>
>> Here's my partition table:
>>
>> Device            Size        Type                            Mount
>> Start        End
>>
>> /dev/hdb        1.9GB    AC22100H
>> 0          4091
>> /dev/hdb1      1.9GB    Win95 FAT32 LBA      /windows/C       0
>> 4091
>> /dev/hdc        37.2GB    WD400BB
>> 0          77544
>> /dev/hdc1      988.3MB    Linux swap               swap                  0
>> 2007
>> /dev/hdc2        36.3GB    Linux native                /
>> 2008    77535
>>

>> Thanks for your help.
>>

> I would still use the boot loader. Go into yast control center, click on
> system, then select bootloader. You can tell it to remove windows 98
> from the list and set the boot loader delay to 5 seconds or less. That
> way it will only show the boot screen for a few seconds then boot.

I have GRUB installed despite the fact that I removed a Windows 2000
partition in the past. Booting into the Windows option (which is deprecat-
ed)  has the outcome you would expect and is harmless. Linux is default at
boot  time and it is selected after 5 seconds, so the delay is negligible.
I rarely reboot, so there is probably no need to mind the existence of the
bootloader  either. If by any chance my experience  of changing the  dual-
boot settings helps,

http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/08/13/dual-partition-linux/

SuSE 8.1 on that machine by the way...

Hope it helps and good luck,