Re: Defying Expectations, PC Holiday Sales Booming

__/ [John A. Bailo] on Tuesday 20 December 2005 00:47 \__

> http://news.yahoo.com/s/cmp/174900188
>
> 'Duboise said notebooks led the 2005 sales surge with an increase of
> 48.6 percent in unit sales and 21 percent in revenue. "This is the first
> time notebooks led desktops in unit sales during a holiday period," she
> said. "The notebook category sold more units (52 percent) than desktops
> (48 percent)"'

When the link below was /not/ broken (back in June)

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D8AGSGQ00.htm?campaign_id=apn_tech_up

it states similar facts: "laptops sales surpassed desktop sales in the
States". Maybe laptop compatibility with Linux will become an important
battelground in years to come. HP sell Ubuntu laptops already. I know of
many American vendors who do likewise. Wi-Fi and everything else works
flawlessly. Laptops are less popular among gamers (brute-force graphics
acceleration is a rarity), so there's reason for optimism.