Re: Signal Out of Range

  • Subject: Re: Signal Out of Range
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 08:46:51 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
__/ [Valentin Guillen] on Saturday 24 December 2005 08:08 \__

> On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 07:18:30 +0000, Betamax_man wrote:
>

>> Well, as there have not been any replies in over three weeks, SuSE 10 is
>> dumped.  If Novell can't provide support for LCD monitors they don't
>> deserve to be in the market place!! Have now installed Free Mandriva 2006.
>> Doesn't look quite as good as SuSE but...
>>
>> Mandriva works.
>

> Ah....You've found something that works for your needs.  That's great!
> And what'w even better is that it's *STILL* GNU/Linux!
>
> I happen to think that there is no *best* linux; rather, there are
> different distributions which can or might be best for individual needs
> and preferences.
>
> I'm sure you'll be happy with it, because when all is said and done, there
> is only *one* Linux, with differing ways in which it is implemented.  I'm
> quite sure there will be aspects of Mandriva you really prefer, and
> aspects which you see and understand to be more to your liking in any
> other distribution, but it's wonderful that you have *choice!*

I  used  Mandrake in the past. The experience was similar to that of  SuSE
(no YaST in Mandriva IIRC), so I am sure you will be more than comfortable
moving  to SuSE, Red Hat or even Kubuntu whenever you wish to do so in the
future. You found a GNU/Linux distribution that suits you, which is great.
Have you tried the stable SuSE 9.3? Maybe it is something to try over your
vacation.

If  it  makes you feel any better, I have recently seen Windows  installa-
tions  that could not detect monitors properly, which led to flickering at
>600x800.  I also saw Ubuntu struggling with resolution at times. I  think
Ubuntu  notorious  for that because I get hundreds of hits on my site  for
the search term 'ubuntu resolution'.