Re: Install Impress?

  • Subject: Re: Install Impress?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2005 05:06:40 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mandrake
__/ [Karl S] on Sunday 25 December 2005 18:51 \__

> Yvonne wrote:
>> Yvonne wrote:

>>> I have found a beta version of the application here
>>> http://www.ntlug.org/~ccox/impress/Download.html.
>>>
>>> Yvonne
>>

>> Hi again!
>>
>> What I want is an application to read pps-files and I don't like
>> openoffice since it takes too much recources. It doesn't need to be an
>> advanced application (for the moment), just a viewer. I also want to get
>> a presentationsoftware, that doesn't need to be able to read pps-files.
>> Does anyone have any suggestions?
>>
>> Yvonne

As  Dough  pointed out, there is a viewer, but it's a Windows  executable.
With the emulation overheads, I don't know if it will be any less of a re-
source hog than OpenOffice, sitting on top of Java Runtime Environment. It
sounds  rather  'on par' to me. I often think of JRE as some form  of  re-
source-greedy platform, which makes development quicker and makes interop-
erability a thing of the past.

> Other than hard drive space, which is plentiful and cheap these days,
> OpenOffice Impress running alone shouldn't take any less of your
> computer's resources than installing the entire OpenOffice suite and
> then launching only the Impress module. That would give you a suite of
> presentation software of sorts, depending on your needs.
> Impress also creates pretty good PDF documents.

I couldn't agree more.

I  thought about the possibility of deleting the Writer and Calc  executa-
bles among others. That would only save a mere amount of desk space, which
is  cheap these days. Getting accustomed to OO is worthwhile. Try it. It's
a skill worth acquiring, looking at the long run.

Best wishes,