Re: Newbie requests distribution flavour suggestion(s)

  • Subject: Re: Newbie requests distribution flavour suggestion(s)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 15:10:18 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [philo] on Wednesday 28 December 2005 01:53 \__

> greybeard wrote:
>> Apologies in advance for novice question.
>> (but picked this ng because its c.o.l.advocacy, so maybe relevant.)
>>
>> Have an old dell box running NT4 which I don't require
>> any more. Want to install a linux flavour, but having looked
>> at distrowatch and other sites cannot get a feel for what
>> might best suit the ancient/limited hardware.
>>
>> So I have Pent 166, 48meg ram, and only 1Gb disk.
>> bios only supports floppy or HD boot. CD(r) installed.
>>
>> Question is what to install given limited disk space, and
>> needing to leave some room for user files?
>> Newbie install also a consideration, but some unix user
>> experience on solaris, HPunix, dynix
>>
>> TIA,
>>         greybeard
>>

> Vector Linux should install quite easily
> on that machine.
> Just read the documentation for creating a boot floppy

Whenever such a question comes up (>~5-year-old computer), all answers point
at the same direction: Damn Small or Vector Linux.

I have experience with none of these, but in the past I used Mandrake 9.2 on
a Pentium with specs that are worse than yours. It was unresponsive, but did
its work. Recommended only if you can work on a stronger machine in tandem.