Re: Good image processing book recommendation

  • Subject: Re: Good image processing book recommendation
  • From: Steve Eddins <steve.eddins@mathworks.com>
  • Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 16:34:50 -0500
  • Cancel-lock: sha1:bm18ahf6Lm28eqRvHLwnMeuCRls=
  • Newsgroups: sci.image.processing
Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> writes:

> Michael Daly wrote:
>
>> Could someone please recommend a good, fairly comprehensive book
>> on image processing.  Not the one you borrow to read, but buy
>> as a keeper.
>>
>> Mike
>
> From what I can gather, the book from Sonka et al. and another from Jain are
> very popular and comprehensive. That's probably the type which you want on
> the shelf as a quick reference.

If you mean Fundamentals of Digital Image Processing by Jain, then I want
to disagree with that recommendation.  It's a good book for the right
audience and purpose, but it is quite dated.  I've taught from it, and I
did a detailed review of it back in 1993, and from those experiences I
learned that book's coverage stops in the early 1980s.

--
Steve Eddins

Development Manager, Image Processing Group
The MathWorks, Inc.