Re: Am I expecting too much from being thin?

  • Subject: Re: Am I expecting too much from being thin?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2005 02:35:59 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.support.diet
WaywardSon wrote:

> I don't know, part of my problem with losing weight is the often
> crusing depression that has haunted me throughout most my life (the
> meds have helps, but it still gets through somtimes).  It's hard to
> diet whne you're depressed and feel that the prospect of living a long
> life isn't something that'd appeal (or when you having trough seeing
> past tomorrow, much less years down the road.)

Depression is sometimes self-inflicted. Sometimes it is the result of
wanting to be 'normal' or even beyond. It seems as if you ought to think
which of these applies to you. Self-worth and self-image are dependent on
_expectation_.

> But still, I want to be thinner, but I wonder if my motices are right,
> or if my expectations are realistic.  I can't help but think my weight
> is the main reason I haven't among other things, had any serious
> relationships (well, hell, any relationships) in the 27 plus years
> I've been on this planet.  I get the feeling that most single women
> dismiss me right off the start as someone they'd like to get to know
> (even as just a friend) before I even open my mouth because of my
> weight.

Believe it or not, many people are driven to be superficial, but not every
single person is. If someone judges people by the exterior, then it's clear
who really has the problem. In fact, it's these people who are led to
depression later in life. They see themselves age as well as their loved
ones. Looks are hard to rely on.

> I concede, that's probably more a "how I perceive
> myself"/self-confidence thing that actual reality, but still, the idea
> is there.
>
> Is it so wrong to want to be handsome?  To wonder what it'd be like to
> have girls blush a bit when you smile and say "Hi" to them rather than
> get nervous and politely excuse themselves.

Once you get there, you probably will realise that it is one of the less
important aspects of life. If you look for happiness, work on your
self-image first.

> (sigh)
>
> Thanks for listening... .

I hope my words are helpful at all,