Re: Maps on net..

  • Subject: Re: Maps on net..
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 11:46:30 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.html
Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> wrote:
>
>> Use the Google Maps Beta
>
> Well, maybe, if you are interested in maps of a certain country (United
> States of America) only and you don't mind requiring your users have
> JavaScript enabled on their browsers.
>
> Admittedly JavaScript can improve useability on pages with interactive
> maps; but requiring that, i.e. not providing a server-side fallback, is a
> design flaw.
>
> Actually, accessing the page with JavaScript enabled makes my anti-virus
> software report a suspected virus. I think I would wait at least for the
> production version even if I needed US maps. After all, "beta" means
> something given to the outside world to help a company debug its software,
> with absolutely no guarantee or even statement about any functionality or
> usefulness to users.
>
> Maporama, http://www.maporama.com , has been on the Net for quite some
> time, and it's worlwide, though with many areas rather coarsely covered.
> It's a bit difficult to create a link that points to a specific map with a
> specific point in the center, and the instructions in general are wanting,
> but here's a sample URL that points to a specific place:
> http://mymap.maporama.com/87F17612-0706-489F-B9B9-51D4FFA84217

I have mentioned all of these points in my recommendation this morning
(http://tinyurl.com/4nepy).

MapQuest (http://www.mapquest.co.uk/) and StreetMap
(http://www.streetmap.co.uk/) are the ones I used until a few days ago.
With a strong browser, these are just too time-consuming.

Roy Schestowitz
http://schestowitz.com