Re: OT: web hosting related questions

  • Subject: Re: OT: web hosting related questions
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2005 12:18:53 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.html
Spartanicus wrote:

> I'm considering getting a paid host (currently I host sites on free
> space provided by my ISP). Some web hosting related questions:
>
> 1) What is the typical (if there is such a thing) policy of a host when
> a DOS attack occurs against a web site, is the site owner liable for the
> cost of the bandwidth if it's in excess of the limit?

I do not think so. Someone else in here will tell you for sure.

> 2) For shared server deals, what should I look out for, to avoid as much
> as possible the risk of someone else's server side scripting bringing
> down the machine or slowing it down to a crawl causing all sites hosted
> by that machine to suffer?

I never had this problem with catalyst2. Make sure there is no a high
workload on one particular machine, e.g. by requesting high loads of data
from a site they host. (I didn't say this *wink*)

> 3) For ordinary web sites, how much does physical location matter? If my
> audience is almost exclusively EU based, is that a reason to look for a
> EU host, or are for example USA hosts nearly as fast?

Try to choose a local one for various reasons: time, support/contact,
currencies, proximity to visitors...

> 4) I'm in Ireland, I might want to opt for .ie top level domains, I can
> register .ie domains directly with the appropriate organization, can .ie
> domains be hosted by any host if I do that?

My host is in N. Ireland although I live in Manchester. It's called
catalyst2 (in Belfast) and they are excellent.

Roy Schestowitz
http://schestowitz.com