Re: odd thing happening on my site

  • Subject: Re: odd thing happening on my site
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 03:30:12 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.html
Lynn Dougherty wrote:

> "Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> wrote in message
> crvf66$2gu1$1@godfrey.mcc.ac.uk">news:crvf66$2gu1$1@godfrey.mcc.ac.uk...
>> Lynn Dougherty wrote:
>>
>>> Dear All:
>>>
>>> I have a site and for some reason when I go to the index page sometimes
>>> a trojan horse tries to download. My virus program blocks it form doing
>>> so and
>>> when I scan my computer, all is fine. I can't figure it out.  I have
>>> scanned
>>> the index file where this happens with my virus program and its clean.
>>> upload the index file to the site and it works fine.  Then, about a week
>>> later, the same thing.  It's happened twice so far.  I certainly don't
>>> want to scare away visitors from my site, but this will and I don't know
>>> what to
>>> do.  Has anyone experienced this or is there someplace where I can get
>>> help?
>>>
>>> See notes below about what tries to load on my computer:
>>>
>>> Trojan.ByteVerify is a Trojan Horse that exploits the vulnerability
>>> described in Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-011 and could provide a
>>> hacker the ability to run arbitrary code on an infected system.
>>>
>>> Download.Ject is a Trojan horse that attempts to download and install a
>>> file by exploiting the vulnerabilities in Internet Explorer (BID 10472,
>>> BID 10473). The Trojan is triggered by visiting a Web site that contains
>>> the exploit code.
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Well, viruses cannot really be contained in hyper-text files, but
>> hyper-text
>> files can trigger viruses in existence. What does this imply? That if an
>> infected computer visits your site, it will suffer.
>>
>> I will now ask you this: if a person does not maintain his (Window$)
>> machine
>> properly, should you be really concerned about it?
>>
>> What is the URL? Or the file? What is the vulnerability?
>>
>> --
>> Roy Schestowitz
>> http://schestowitz.com
>
> Dear Roy:
>
> Thanks for responding.
>
> The index and domain is: http://www.classicmoviefavorites.com.  It is fine
> now because I uploaded my index file again and now it works fine.  It
> happens to me when I go there.

Nice Web site. It reminds me of reeljewels.com which I used to visit quite
frequently 2 years ago.

(*) What happened when you accessed the site before? Did you get a warning?
Why did you suspect a Trojan was present?

> I'm wondering if the server my site is on
> might have the problem?

It's possible, but if it's a large company -- highly unlikely.

> Do you think?  I have scanned my computer and
> have the most recent version of Norton Antivirus, Spybot, etc. and I'm
> religious about keeping my computer as clean as I can so I can't see how
> it could be
> me causing this.

Again, I need the answer to (*).

> If so, why does it do it about every ten days or so.
> First time it happened was on 12/30 and now again today.  Seems odd.  Any
> ideas?

Maybe it is designed to give an error in 10 day intervals so that you are
not overblown by warnings.

--
Roy Schestowitz
http://schestowitz.com