Re: Selecting list item to auto-populate text fields

  • Subject: Re: Selecting list item to auto-populate text fields
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 13:04:11 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.html
Dave wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I'm in the middle of adding some validation functionality to an inventory
> tracking form.
>
> What I would like to do is have one dropdown menu/Listbox(Part Number) and
> another text field (Product Description).
>
> When the user selects an item from the drop down (IE 12S0FB) it will
> autopopulate the text field with a description of the product.  At the
> moment I will hard code the values in.  Can anyone help me out here?
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

You can do this using JavaScript. For example:

<head>
<script type="text/javascript">
function addText(myform){
// get the ID of the text box
// use document.myform.options[document.myform.myitem.selectedIndex].value
// to resolve text to insert
}
</script>
</head>

<form name="myform">
<select name="myitem" onChange="javascript:addText()">
<option value="item1">Item #1</option>
<option value="item2">Item #2</option>
</select>
</form>

Don't try it as it's not tested. It's the idea that counts.

Roy

PS - Please don't make corrections, guys. It's just a rough example...

--
Roy Schestowitz
http://schestowitz.com