Re: Google Wishlist: What you can't find on Google

  • Subject: Re: Google Wishlist: What you can't find on Google
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 08:32:39 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
+/- wrote:

>     One-click exact phrase search
>
>     Where on Google is a one-click button/link to instantly turn an open
> search into an exact phrase search?
>
>     Example:
>
>     Exact phrase (open)
>
>     "Exact phrase" (exact phrase)

This does not exist, not even in the latest Googlebar for Firefox, which is
in many terms ahead of Google's homebred toolbar.

>     So many times I've searched two words or more, found the results too
> many or unhelpful; then moved to an exact phrase search, adding quote
> marks either side. It would be intuitive of Google and all the other
> search engines to anticipate this natural, common second search and offer
> a single-click button. So where is it?

You are basing this on your personal experience and personal search habits.
Many people will definitely not want this to be set as default (e.g.
compare "'machine vision'" and "vision machine"). It can rob them of search
flexibility and tolerance if it becomes the default search type. If it was
offered as a 'main menu' item, it would have confuses many. "What they heck
is exact phrase?" or "What is a regular expression?" is what you would hear
from a search rookie.

>     The Google Toolbar search automatically turns a selected text search
> (Right-Click Google Search) into an exact phrase search. It appears as the
> default and it is fixed. Why isn't there a button on Google next to the
> main search button, i.e., to the right, for an exact phrase search?

Imagine yourself all the other buttons they could add for pluses, minuses
and the like. If someone is knowledgeable enough to be familiar with the
more advanced syntax, then adding quotes manually (a few keystrokes) is a
snap.

>     Since there are one-click buttons for Images, Groups, News, etc., why
> isn't there a one-click button for an exact phrase, which, for many
> people, is used more often than switching to Images, Groups, News, etc.?
> This should have been added to Google the year it started. I can't think
> of anything more basic. It should be right beside the main search button,
> e.g:
>
>     (Search) (Exact Phrase) or just
>
>     (Search) (Exact)
>
>     What else is Google missing, in terms of an intuitive interface, in
>     your
> opinion?

Not much. I wish it was more customisable though. The portals they
introduced seem to get a step closer. Remember that with every
customisation there is a price to pay. Google and Microsoft know that.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com