Re: Sync Netscape bookmarks between PCs

  • Subject: Re: Sync Netscape bookmarks between PCs
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 14:19:16 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot
Steven Whatley wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've asked this before a couple of years ago.  I would like to use my T3
> to help transfer my Netscape (actually Firefox) bookmarks between my work
> and home PC.

BookmarkSync is your friend:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/bookmarksync

> As a plus but not necessary, I'd like to be able to view the
> bookmark list on the T3.
>
> I know of programs like Favogo and Pocket Favorites.  The latter only
> supports IE at this time.  What is the best way to do this?

Have you exported your bookmarks as HTML yet? In Firefox you will find this
under Bookmarks -> Manage Bookmarks... -> File -> Export...

> How about a program that automatically transfers the bookmark file (or any
> file) from/to the PC to/from the T3's SD card during a hotsync?  It will
> have to check to see which file is newer.  Does such a program exist.

You can find your Firefox bookmark under:

~/.mozilla/firefox/YOUR_PROFILE/bookmarks.html

In Windows, have a look under 'Application Data' corresponding to the
current user. You can probably transfer such a file back and forth. You can
also fetch the bookmarks from your Palm (periodically), then synchronise
with the PC-side bookmarks, then return the file to your T3.

> I know I could just keep the bookmark file on a flash drive and keep the
> drive plugged into the computer I am on. Then tell Firefox to use that
> file.  But, I'd prefer not to keep flash drive inserted at all times.

Maintain only one side as if it were your primary bookmark. Decide, for
instance, that all links will be accumulated on your T3. You then need to
keep a list of links on your PC. Let us call them 'Awaiting inclusion'.
Once in a while, insert the flash card and pass the 'Awaiting inclusion'
list to your Palm where they will be sorted and categorised.

> I also believe there are web sites that will help keep bookmarks synced
> between multiple PCs but I don't know if I can trust such a site.

Consider http://del.icio.us/ . It grows enormously fast and will not vanish.
It is an online social bookmark or customisable portal. It will also
deliver your links to you as RSS feeds. Using the Firefox live bookmark
feature you then have your Firefox bookmarks act as if you had all
bookmarks stored locally (research on it now if you are unfamiliar with
live bookmarks). If ever you decide that you want to import your bookmarks
from del.icio.us, have a look at the item I wrote about import/export:

http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/05/28/delicious-bookmarks/

> Any info will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Steven