Re: Search Engine Politics

  • Subject: Re: Search Engine Politics
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 04:19:07 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
Anonymous wrote:

> On 15 Jul 2005, shirazi@gmail.com wrote:
>>Lookspire.com  is a metasearch engine that searches top internet search
>>engines.every time you type in a query Lookspire simultaneously
>>searches Google,Yahoo And Msn, All results gathered from them and then
>>collated to remove duplicates and ranked according to lookspire's
>>algorithm. Finally, an organized and sorted list of web pages is
>>presented to the user.It's like using multiple search engines, all at
>>the same time. Using more search engines means a better overall
>>coverage of the Web
>
>   Thank you for posting your metasearch link. I've bookmarked it.
>
>   Please realize that the politics of search engines is getting
> dangerously heated up just as much as it is on Capitol Hill, perhaps
> even moreso.  There are some google shills on these groups who make
> a concerted effort to demonize, ineptly criticize, and worse, anyone
> who even suggests using any non-google or extra-google search engines.
> Some of them have even made death threats on behalf of google.  In
> part because they own pricy shares in them.  But also because there
> is a bloody war going on between their left-wing owners against right-
> wing search engine owners like Microsoft and Yahoo!.  And this battle
> is most definitely getting dangerous and life-threatening for all
> concerned.  Within a year, you'll start hearing about some of these
> people being killed.  Hard to believe?  Politics can get mighty ugly.
>
>   Granted, many businesses both large and small choose to include google
> to help their corporate bottom line, regardless of political infighting.
> For example, you can find google ads on the FOX news website, as well
> as other decidedly conservative on-line news media outlets, e-zines, etc.
>
>   It's like the old saying goes, "you can be right and you can be out
> of business."  That's why so many corporations simply don't care about
> politics, liberal or conservative.  They are ONLY interested in profit,
> so they don't care who gets injured or killed along the way.  These are
> the kind of people who'd sell their own grandmother if there's money
> to be made.  And that describes the majority of people posting here,
> as you can see for yourself by doing a google groups search on a.i.s-e
> and other related SEO discussion groups.  It's a jungle out there.

That's quite an interesting view.

I very reluctantly began to use Google around 2-3 years ago (after being a
Webcrawler guy). I must admit that I was getting what I had hoped for. The
search results were helpful and Google did not treat their users badly. By
not being evil, they were able to monopolise themselves and yet avoid
becoming the main subject of disdain.

I think you have pushed the analysis of this competition to extremity.
People don't kill each other over operating system choices and neither will
there be a war over search engines, E-mail, mapping services, advertising,
yada, yada and... yada. Operating systems have the issue we have come to
know as "compatibility". The Web is open, so if anything, brutal behaviour
over operating system will precede that which is over management of the Web
(I think we can begin to view Google in this way).

Speaking of which, the Open Source movement will possibly take over within a
decade. Then, the market will no longer be dominated by large commercial
players. No more multi-billion dollar aggressive monopolies and 95%
start-ups in a state of bankruptcy. Competition will then be friendly and
benevolent.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com