Re: Screen Saver Priority - xlock

  • Subject: Re: Screen Saver Priority - xlock
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 14:47:05 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Harold Stevens wrote:

> In <dbf6er$svb$1@godfrey.mcc.ac.uk> Roy Schestowitz:
>
> [Snip...]
>
>> a simple way of just approaching a sleeping machine and enter the
>> password while the CRT's come back to life?
>
> Shot in the dark: if this is a typical desktop (mostly idle, especially
> overnight), have a look at the -delay option in the xlock manpage. As I
> read it, you might get what you want (immediate keyboard response), and
> what you don't want (a hogged-out CPU delaying overnight tasks):
>
>   -delay usecs
>        The delay option sets the speed at which a mode will operate.   It
>        simply sets the number of microseconds to delay between batches of
>        animations.  In blank mode, it is important to set  this  to  some
>        small  number  of seconds, because the keyboard and mouse are only
>        checked after each delay, so you cannot set the  delay  too  high,
>        but  a  delay  of  zero  would needlessly consume cpu checking for
>        mouse and keyboard input in a tight loop, since blank mode has  no
>        work to do.
>
> I've never tried this myself, but maybe it'll do what you're asking.
>
> BTW--might set aside time to glance at the (many) other xlock options.

That will serve me as an excellent starting point. If this works, I then
need to worry about how to incorporate this into Control Center. Maybe I'll
set up a custom accelerator using xbindkeys instead. I'll experiment and
let you know the outcome.

many thanks,

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com