Re: Syncronising with Multiple Desktops

  • Subject: Re: Syncronising with Multiple Desktops
  • From: "David W. Poole, Jr." <STKR!@microsoft.com>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 13:31:33 -0400
  • Newsgroups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot
On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 15:19:10 +0100, Roy Schestowitz
<newsgroups@schestowitz.com> was understood to have stated the
following:

>David W. Poole, Jr. wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 04:26:09 +0100, Roy Schestowitz
>> <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> was understood to have stated the
>> following:

>> <snip>

>> <snip>
>> Disabling synchronization of unused applications is a decent idea. In
>> my case I want all the information synced. I've always synced with my
>> work PCs as well as my home PCs. The first thing I do when I power up
>> is hotsync, and that's the last operation I perform before I shut
>> down. If I had a laptop I would sync with it, but part of the appeal
>> of a PDA is not having to lug a laptop with. :-D
>

>I prefer to HotSync while I am away from the computer. The whole process is
>too verbose. The only bit that matters -- the error log -- disappears after
>a minute and this timeout cannot be altered unfortunately. It takes between
>30 seconds to a minute to synchronise depending on the remaining load that
>the system is subjected to. The advantage of having a laptop is that you
>can synchronise even when you travel. I have a backup card, but it's
>terrifying to rely on because it's free software and I never put it to the
>test before (luckily enough).

If I traveled more frequently, I would sync with a laptop as well. As
it is, I sync with one home PC and a "shared" work PC. Since others
use my work PC when I'm not on shift, I delete my PDA information from
the work desktop after my last sync of the shift to keep people from
getting to my PIM data. I also sync to various friend's and family
member's machines on very rare occasions.

<snip>

>> I've experienced where making massive edits to your PIM data on one
>> desktop can be disastrous on your next "sync." Made some massive edits
>> to my memos on one machine, hot synced, then went to the next machine,
>> and after the hotsync everything was unfiled. Now when I make these
>> types of "massive edits" I *always* make sure I set the memo conduit
>> to "handheld overwrites desktop" on the soon-to-be slow sync'ed
>> machine. Other than that, I haven't seen any drawbacks to
>> synchronizing to multiple PCs.
>

>What about data backups for example? I know it's idiotic, but I very much
>care about these despite the fact I never access them.

Periodically I zip up the user folder under the Palm desktop on my
home PC and archive that. As well, I make backups to multiple SD cards
(I have multiple cards since my Jump Drive Trio, MP3 player, PDA, and
camera are all SD based). As of yet, my data archival methodology has
been sufficient to recover from a total memory clear, with only the
loss of a couple of modified memos.

>> I also regularly carry about a 40gig USB powered laptop drive
>> (fortunately it's almost *exactly* the same size as my T|3) between a
>> wide number of PCs; managing files on multiple desk tops can be an
>> interesting endeavor. My "main" data sets, if you will, is on that
>> drive, and I've got a number of servers set up to run off of it on
>> whatever PC I load it for, just should I get the hankerin' for some
>> client/server development. :-D
>

>That choice of a central drive is a wise one. I luckily sit on a 100Mbit
>network so I can afford to mirror my entire hard-drive twice a week and
>hence never worry about data loss. I also use SSH to work on a single
>machine (virtually) even though I work from 3 different sites including
>home. I used to spend /way/ too much mental and practical effort trying to
>'synchronise' stuff. I needn't worry about that again.

The portable drive, for the most part, carries content that is already
archived elsewhere. For example, 15gigs is currently used to house a
subset of the MP3s I've ripped from my CD collection; a larger subset
resides on the internal drive. If I need up to 15 gigs of space
quickly, I can delete that 15 gig knowing I can recover it easily
later. The majority of the remaining allocated space on the drive is
used for applications I've installed, which I also have backups of on
the home PC as well as on CDs and some SDs, so if they are lost no big
deal. A few MySQL databases I'm working on which can be rebuilt by the
apps that populated them in the first place don't get backed up, but
my source code does. 1700 C/C++ files compress to about 4mb and are
easy enough to copy to an SD card, as well I'll copy the raw tree
(just the source files only) to an SD card for viewing with iSilo, or
to my home HD for source archiving. The MySQL databases are accessed
through ODBC, so whenever a new ODBC data source is defined, I export
the registry tree for the ODBC data sources to the miniHD, and import
them on the next machine I use that doesn't have these data sources
defined. As for synchronizing file trees, I'm a very BIG fan of
ZTreeWin. <grin>