Re: RSS and Computer Literacy

  • Subject: Re: RSS and Computer Literacy
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 16:43:52 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
Mikkel Møldrup-Lakjer wrote:

> "Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> skrev i en meddelelse
> dbqsri$s0q$1@godfrey.mcc.ac.uk">news:dbqsri$s0q$1@godfrey.mcc.ac.uk...
>>
>> Yes, many quarterly results have come out recently.The Microsoft revenue
>> has
>> increased too, but by a lower proportion than expected. Their stocks fell
>> 2%. One wonders how IE7 with that built-in search bar (which one would
>> guess is not going to have Google as an option) will affect the search
>> engine wars. I think they shove that search bar anywhere they can these
>> days, thereby exploiting their domination of the operating systems
>> market. Be afraid.
>
> An interesting trend - with a MSN search bar in IE7, MSN and Ask
> targetting questions like "what is" etc. - could be that Google would keep
> the more computer/internet literate searchers, whereas those who use MSN
> and Yahoo etc. would be those who use the big portals that come
> "preinstalled" on their computers.

That's more or less what is happening at present. I think Microsoft will get
ever more aggressive. Since Google dominate, Microsoft will consider it a
justification to 'attack'. And what better weapon than 700 MB of
pre-installed, pre-configured software...

> ZDNet also cites that 25% of internet users don't know what RSS is. I
> don't believe that figure for a minute. I suspect the numbers could be
> inverse, meaning only 25% (or even less) of internet users know what RSS
> is. Depends on the definition of "internet user" of course, as well as the
> market.

I imagine that the author of the article had some confusion. Knowing the
sort of editors giants like CNN and Yahoo have ( see
http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/07/12/duel-core/ ), I wouldn't
be surprised if the author did not understand RSS him/herself.