Re: Error pages - count as anything?

William Tasso wrote:

> Writing in news:alt.www.webmaster
>  From the safety of the  cafeteria
> Gandalf Parker <gandalf@most.of.my.favorite.sites> said:
>
>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> wrote in
>> dbltu4$6dd$1@godfrey.mcc.ac.uk:">news:dbltu4$6dd$1@godfrey.mcc.ac.uk:
>>
>>> This may be a redundant or an easy question, but if a user enter a
>>> site and gets a customised 404 page, do packages like Analyae,
>>> Webalizer and AWStats count that as a "visit"? A "hit"? How are such
>>> requests for 404.shtml being treated?
>>
>> I dont know. But thats an interesting question. I can see some important
>> uses coming from that answer
>
> AWStats appears to count 404s separately.

Thanks. I was going to search the Perl script, but now you have provided me
with the answer.

I had a wave of 404's (bad inbound link) which made things hard to
interpret. I made the 404 a redirection for a couple of days (Apache
re-directs wouldn't work because the link contained '<br />'), but couldn't
avoid the status reported.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com