Re: Pros and cons of LCD monitors

  • Subject: Re: Pros and cons of LCD monitors
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 07:28:05 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.www.webmaster
Lois wrote:

> As some of you know, I'm on the hunt for a new computer. I may be
> able to get a good used one (1-2 years old) locally, but my question
> at this point is about the monitor. I don't need to buy a new
> monitor, but I might get one with the computer. What do you guys
> think of LCD monitors?
>
> From http://www.lsit.ucsb.edu/kb/idx/5/046/article/ : "The
> disadvantages of LCD monitors are...fixed resolution and inconsistent
> color. It is also common for these screens to have imperfections
> known as dead or stuck pixels, where one dot is stuck on a color.
> This is not a problem for most users."
>
> These sound like serious problems for people who do web design. What
> do you think? Do some LCD monitors avoid these problems?

This must has been asked thousands of times over the Internet (including
this: http://www.schestowitz.com/UseNet/2005/February_2005/msg00134.html ),
so all I can offer is a humble advice which refers to your particular
questions.

The text which you quoted speaks of problems that _develop_. With your
current CRT, is anything faulty? Is the picture not sharp? If all works
properly, why get a new one? What will you do with the old one? Due to the
weight you can't sell it for much (shipping expenses).

Then, you have power consumption arguments to look into assuming that the
monitor is always on. What about portability? If you intend to move the
monitor, size might be an important factor. Desk size is yet another a big
selling point for LCD displays.

I personally dislike the picture on LCD monitors, but I know it is a matter
of preference. I dread seeing my pages on LCD displays, let alone in
Internet Explorer.