Re: Help with "interpreting" my website stats

  • Subject: Re: Help with "interpreting" my website stats
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 04:54:49 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
Graeme wrote:

> My daily report gives me both "reqs" (which I assume is short for
> requests) and "pages".
>
> Can someone please confirm what this all means i.e. the difference
> between the two?
>
> Presumably "pages" just means "the total number of pages what've
> actually been displayed". Alternatively, the former being "the
> total number of pages which have been requested".
>
> So, (as the number of "requests" is always considerably greater
> than the number of "pages") does this mean that therefore many of
> my pages must be unavailable for whatever reason?
>
> Finally, how do I find out the total number of visitors i.e. how
> many individuals have hit my site? I can see something about
> "distinct hosts served". Might this be what I need? I'd hope not:
> as the actual figure is rather lower than I was expecting.

"Requests" are "hits" in this context. Any _file_ requested is (should be
considered) a "hit" whether it is an image file or a peripheral stylesheet,
to name just a couple of examples.

The ratio between pages and hits sometimes provides insight into how complex
your pages are. Therefore, pages /might/ be a more meaningful way of
quantifying popularity. However, some sites will fragment a document into
many pages whereas other prefer the long, light-weight pages so visit
duration becomes another useful statistic.

As for your final question, what does your host/server provide you with? If
all you get is a reqs/pages count, you will not be able to go any further
and obtain informative statistics. The most you can then do is _estimate_
what type of pages get viewed most often or how frequently (roughly) people
leave your pages before they get fully loaded. With faster connections,
this has become less practical as well.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com