Re: Forgotten root password

  • Subject: Re: Forgotten root password
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 11:47:17 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
houghi wrote:

> I know it has been asked before and here the solution from Novell.
>
> http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/trench/15629.html
>
> Cool Solutions have more neat things to check out and/or try.

They must have made it a possibility because some users were negligent
enough as to forget the root password. This means that given the
installation CD and an account on any machine machine, obtaining root
privileges is a possible but a little laborious.

I can think of similar examples like the password protection jumper on the
motherboard, which only needs to be manually stripped in order for you to
mess around with the BIOS. Also, Palm have carried on with this dumb
password recovery process which they published on the Web. This means that
your supposedly password-protected PDA (with passwords and personal
information) is penetrable when lost or once reaching the wrong hands.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com