Re: Domain Name SEO

  • Subject: Re: Domain Name SEO
  • From: Big Bill <kruse@cityscape.co.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 15:39:31 GMT
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 14:43:21 +0100, Roy Schestowitz
<newsgroups@schestowitz.com> wrote:

>Big Bill wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 07:59:55 +0100, Roy Schestowitz
>> <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> wrote:

>>>I have learned to accept Dave's conduct over time. There is no harm if the
>>>content is public -- something _which I failed to grasp at first_.
>>
>> I don't mind him doing it as he does what he does well, so far as I
>> can see. He misleads by omission, though, and does it repeatedly,
>> seemingly in an attempt to present himself in a far better light than
>> he deserves to be. So, he presents himself in an overly-flattering
>> light, and he runs other people down without any justification. This
>> is what I object to. He's ALWAYS done this, for years. If this place
>> had a moderator he'd have been kicked off years ago.
>

>I was deceived too at first. It was only once I went to his sites that I
>realised it was somewhat a monkey business. Don't get me wrong, he does
>everything he does quite well, but he cannot mention and present the high
>numbers to someone with a 5-page Web site and the desire to lure more
>customers.

Exactly. It all *sounds* very clever but it just isn't relevant. I
notice that his efforts working with Amazon's XML feed, which again
*sound* very clever, seem to have been achieved with the £50 jobbie
handily available from, funny enough, Amazon. I'm going to give it a
try myself when I come out of hospital. Again this is very useful to
know and without Dave mentioning they even had an XML feed I wouldn't
have thought to look for it (no time) but things as always with Dave
are not what they appear.

>>> I think
>>>he is doing a fine job delivering people what they search for, however at
>>>the expense of smaller sites whose owners are the _authors_, who will get
>>>greater gratification from visits. When I published a modified version of
>>>a GPL'd (General Public Licence) project that I had hacked on, I had some
>>>unjustified feelings of guilt. If not _all_ the code is genuinely mine, I
>>>think the other authors must be credited (in terms of stats), which is not
>>>possible. That's what the GPL is all about though.
>>>
>>>Getting back on topic, I have seen some sites that got acquired by
>>>different owners but stuck to related topics (often restricted by the
>>>domain name, e.g. palmnews.com will not become a family page).
>>
>> Yeah, I can see that working, there are companies, Snapnames used to
>> be one, maybe still is, that deal in these. I tracked
>> Maliceinwonderland.com for years but never got it, heh-heh.

I now, thanks to an alert from one of our regular lurkers, am the
proud owner of maliceinwonderland.co.uk. Tee-hee!

BB
--
www.kruse.co.uk/ seo@kruse.demon.co.uk
         Elvis does my seo