Re: Windows to Ubuntu

  • Subject: Re: Windows to Ubuntu
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 16:37:21 +0100
  • Newsgroups: uk.comp.misc
Jack Ouzzi wrote:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>

>> If you are looking for a replacement for Windows 95, consider Ubuntu
>> Linux,
>> which will be sent to your house for free <
>> http://shipit.ubuntulinux.org/
>> >. It contains Open Office, Firefox, Evolution, the GIMP and many other
>> goodies. It is rock solid (will never crash) and very, very intuitive.
>>
>> Roy
>
>> Roy S. Schestowitz
>> http://Schestowitz.com
>
> Hmmm very interesting, I have always fancied trying Linux (what's with
> Ubuntu? different from 'normal' Linux?)
>
> Will it work on modern machines? new laptop??
>
> Is it difficult to use?? Used ALL versions of Windoze

I am running Ubuntu at this very moment (typically SuSE Linux at the
University though). Ubuntu was founded/initiated by a South African
multi-millionaire and it was made as simple as you would expect it to be.
It is an extension of the popular Debian distribution.

It comes as a single-CD installation that will set up your machine with all
the software above (see list) within minutes. It will configure everything
automatically including network card/s (network addresses too), scanners,
monitor/s etc. It also comes with Palm Pilot tools, scanning software, the
ability to browse Microsoft networks, printers and so forth. Don't ask me
how so much was condensed to fit one CD. Your pack will also include a live
CD so you can _try_ Ubuntu without installing _anything_.

You will never need to be introduced to the shell (drop the myth) and
installing new packages is trivial too. One wonders why so many people
still use Windows... I have used Windows since version 3.1 and ever since
Windows 98 all that has been added are unneeded resource-hogging widgets
(this includes Windows Vista which has already been pronounced a
disappointment) -- see, for example (
http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/07/06/xp-new-colours-longhorn/
).

There are still bugs and deficiencies (e.g. filesystem) in Windows, which
few manage to notice because long-term Windows users take design flaws for
granted. Trust me, I still use Windows XP when I have no choice and it's
frustrating. If only more people got expose to other platforms rather than
wooed by Microsoft's well-funded propaganda. You can see my Linux in action
at: http://schestowitz.com/Gallery/KDE-Screen-shots

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com