Re: Interesting Traffic Trend

  • Subject: Re: Interesting Traffic Trend
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2005 05:31:21 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
John Bokma wrote:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
> [ http://johnbokma.com/analyze/daily_usage_200505.png ]
>
>> Wow, that's a /really/ quick growth.
>
> Thanks :-) Yeah, in one year a 10 fold increase, without adding 10 times
> as much pages.
>
>> Do you have an explanation for that?
>
> Some of the things I write (blog / longer articles) now and then attract a
> huge number of hits.

Yes, same here. I think (I can't be certain) that search engines prefer
fresh content. If you look for Adobe, you possibly wish to see something
about the Macromedia takeover and not a popular, heavily-liked-to article
from 5 years ago titled "Introducing hyperlinks in PDF's".

> Some things are news, so there is a slight drop when
> it becomes old, very noticeable this month (I was hoping to be at 4000/day
> this month, so a thousand short :-( )

The pages that 'endure' are general-purpose tools and not yet another copy
of a news item.

>> Many direct requests too...
>
> Yes, sometimes it scares me (serious). I recently checked how many people
> fetched my rss feed, and I think I counted hundreds. Of course including
> bots etc.

Oh, I forgot all about feeds. I guess I can pick these up over time. I added
my first feed in November.

> I want to measure soon how many people actually click on feed links (I add
> something like ?via_rss to the link, and check for that).

BBC and slashdot do these tricks (among others).

> My crazy dream is to have 10,000 visitors/day by the end of the year. I
> doubt if it's going to happen. OTOH, end of last year I was hoping to get
> 5,000/day by the end of this year, and it looks like I can get there in
> 2-3 months.

It never seems to end.

Have a look:

http://johnbokma.com/analyze/usage_200305.html

Could you foresee 3,000 a day at a time? Or would you run short of breath
just laughing at whoever suggested that?

I am only 23 and I got cited in the Slashdot front page yesterday. My dreams
come true more quickly than I anticipate. My domain is only 9 months old
and it attracted 3000 visits (AWStats) in one day at its peek.

I just keep doing "whatever it is I do" and things appear to improve over
time. Even my academic life is positively affected by the Web. It instilled
the confidence needed for public speaking and it got people to know me --
people whom I never even met.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com