Re: [OT] How can I make money licensing my software as open-source?

  • Subject: Re: [OT] How can I make money licensing my software as open-source?
  • From: John Bokma <john@castleamber.com>
  • Date: 9 Jun 2005 05:54:54 GMT
  • Newsgroups: alt.www.webmaster
Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> John Bokma wrote:
>
>> Justin Sane wrote:
>>
>>> My programmers have developped a powerful e-commerce application
>>> similar  as Amazon.com's
>>> e-commerce application, working with PHP and PostgreSQL. It uses
>>> artificial intelligence
>>> and works very well.
>>>
>>> My question is: How could I make money if it were open-source?
>>
>> Have a peek at http://www.phpbb.com/. Have a close look at their
>> site, and if you use IE + Google Tool Bar think how they got that
>> PageRank.
>
> This gives companies that embrace Open Source power, but not
> necessarily money.

True, depends a bit on how much money you need. I think a PR9 site can
make quite some money based on links alone, but enough?

> This power can be used to promote the company and establish
> confidence among a wide range of users. If you have developed a tool
> that is of general purpose, distribute it. When you develop something
> which is targetted at a narrower range of users, the market will be
> easier to penetrate.
>
> Google started with an open, friendly and unobtrusive Web search
> engine. Look where they stand today
> (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4072772.stm), having earned loyal
> users over the years.

On the other hand, there are many, many, many OS developers that make
hardly any money with their products.

There are a few exceptions, but *few*.

MySQL, Blender, BitTorrent to name a few.

--
John                       Perl SEO tools: http://johnbokma.com/perl/
                 Experienced (web) developer: http://castleamber.com/