Re: *Unbelieving nation*: YouGov/Daily Telegraph Survey Results...

  • Subject: Re: *Unbelieving nation*: YouGov/Daily Telegraph Survey Results...
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 09:33:28 +0100
  • Followup-to: alt.atheism,talk.atheism,uk.philosophy.atheism
  • Newsgroups: alt.atheism, talk.atheism, uk.philosophy.atheism
jack.harrison@gmail.com wrote:

> At present it is often assumed - eg recent controversy over removal
> of crucifixes at a crematorium - that the default position is a belief
> in god.  I have no problem if the family of a deceased wants its own
> "comforter" but it should be assumed that many people don't want
> such symbols.  They should be AVAILABLE by REQUEST, not be removable on
> request (with difficulty so I am led to understand).
>
> If that survey is to be interpreted in the way that we would wish, then
> before too many years, it will be presumed that a person has NO faith
> unless he indicates otherwise - that would be a long overdue change.
> We are still clinging on to the reverse, ie a person is assumed to have
> faith unless he says otherwise.  I find that marginally insulting to my
> intelligence, but change is surely on the way and is unstoppable.

I think that's an excellent point. You can easily offend a pious individual
if you assume no religion incentives. Conversely, a person without belief
would not mind. Religion has this component according to which religion
needs to be /projected/.

> This Atheist newsgroup won't be needed in a few decades from now.
> What will we all have to moan about then?

If this newsgroup has no value in a few decades, wouldn't you be satisfied?
I think that one aim of this forum is to openly express what is often
suppressed. I look forward to the days when atheism and disbelief can be
discussed in the media without controversy.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com