Re: using a hotmail.co.uk address with online sales site....

  • Subject: Re: using a hotmail.co.uk address with online sales site....
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 14:48:48 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.www.webmaster
Matt Probert wrote:

> Once upon a time, far far away DW <not-at-this-address@ntlworld.com>
> muttered
>
>>hi,
>>Could anyone advise. A friend wants me to do her an online sales site
>>for her small jewellery shop. She only has a ****@hotmail.co.uk email
>>address and would prefer to have any notification of new sales from
>>site to come through to this address. Is this advisable? Presumably
>>when I sort out her domain and hosting set-up for the site she will
>>get free email addresses that she can use on site and then it would be
>>OK to arrange "forwarding" to her hotmail adddress??
>>Thanks for any advice.
>>Dee. ;-)
>
> How professional do you think this looks?
>
> If I am to purchase jewellry from an online-shop I at least expect
> them to be able to afford the £5 a month for a real domain and email
> address!
>
> Otherwise, I get the impression of either: a) a clueless child or b) a
> crook.
>
> And I am sure your client is neither.

I will only add that lines are appended at the bottom of Hotmail E-mail
messages. They will make it difficult to ignore the source of the E-mail
and definitely distract the receiver of the message.

People who do not have strong feelings involving Microsoft can tolerate the
source, but otherwise you're asking for trouble. GMail would be a safe
compromise as long as the account name is professional and not something
like C00lGurl2000@gmail.com.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com