Re: "Thinks" and "Believes in"

  • Subject: Re: "Thinks" and "Believes in"
  • From: Mike Stanton <mike.stanton@dsl.pipex.com>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 21:51:40 +0100
  • Newsgroups: uk.philosophy.atheism
On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 16:01:08 +0100, Roy Schestowitz
<newsgroups@schestowitz.com> wrote

>A certain question that has occupied my mind for a while. Why are we
>accustomed to saying "he/she believes in God"? This indirectly implies the
>existence of God -- one God, in fact. Why is it uncommon to hear someone
>say "he/she thinks there is a God"? The difference is subtle, but shouldn't
>this change of habit be made? I am pretty certain that some people would be
>offended by the latter.

I think such a change in language would be useful for dealing with
those theists who are interested in some rational discourse about
faith and belief. The ones who are upset by it are probably not worth
talking to anyway.

--
mike stanton
serving neither God nor Mammon on the lonely planet.