Re: NEW DIY Home Automation Forum

  • Subject: Re: NEW DIY Home Automation Forum
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 06:13:35 +0100
  • Newsgroups: uk.tech.home-automation
Brett Griffin wrote:

> My biggest problem and dislike with usenet groups, SPAM.

There are ways around it. Forum software out-of-the-box also can suffer from
spam. If you mean E-mail harvesting, there are ways around that too.

> My second biggest problem why I prefer forums, is that the boards are
> moderated.  Flamming and trashing others post arent allowed.  You would
> think we are all adults and can have a discussion like this one.

This is one of the pros of UseNet. It is an open forums where nobody
(excluding extremity) will decide what you can or cannot say. I have seen
forums where the administrator deletes comments that conflict his/her
opinion.

> In
> Usenets half of the post are off topic, slandering, and pointless waste of
> disk space on some hard drive in cyberland.

Space is not the issue, but perhaps 'noise' among content is the problem.

> Forums are much more productive.

Some audience refuses to participate in forums because they are too
scattered. People these days prefer to syndicate, aggregate and congregate.
Forums do not cater for these needs.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com