> Hi all,
> Jsut discovered this newsgroup and hope somebody might help me deicde
> which pda to buy.
> Here are the things I'd like to do:
> 1) Browse the net
> 2) use usenet to post and read messages like i do now with this ISP I'm on
> 3) use AOL and yahoo for IM chat and to send mail
> 4) have a built in keyboard
> 5) Have bluetooth and wi-fi (for my home network) and in addition to that
> guess, guess, a carrier like sprint too, so i can access the web while
> travelling in the USA.
> 6) also the ability to play wmv, divx, mpeg 1 and 2 that i have as video
> files on my hard drive from my tv tuner.
> 7) Pocket pc's look nice but i know palm is better.
> 8) phone
> Money is no object, any recommendations?
> Basically the units i have researched are
> treo 650, verizon vm6600 ipaq 4715, 6500
> Any others?
Okay, I have read through the list and it appeared as though you would have
to cope with a few tradeoff.
(1) Any Tungsten/Treo/LifeDrive would cope with this
(2) There is a free program for the Palm called Yanoff. It allows you to
handle newsgroups quite neatly and a newer project (I think titled "New
Yanoff") improves it further. Rumours or some impression I recently got is
that Palm might include newsgroups reader like Yanoff among the base
(4) That's the Tungsten C
(5) Built-in WiFi and Bluetooth is the Tungsten C and I think the LifeDrive
(6) For high storage volume (often necessary when handling media), the
LifeDrive is a good choice. You can also buy SD cards to extend a Tungsten,
(7) Exactly. _Looks_ nice, but good looks do not imply practicality.
(8) Okay, off to the Treo unless you are willing to get the advantages of
the LifeDrive / Tungsten C while using a detached mobile phone. I think
it's the big question that you must concentrate on.
Roy S. Schestowitz