Re: Google is weird.

  • Subject: Re: Google is weird.
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 14:36:13 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
Davemon wrote:

> Big Bill wrote:
>> On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 11:10:07 +0100, Davemon <nospam@nowhere.no> wrote:
>>>Can anyone tell me why my site (http://www.nightsoil.co.uk) is at #2 in
>>>google? for the search: E-commerce Prototype
>>>
>> Not really a good thing, either. Only a handful of other sites contain
>> that phrase and I do believe that no-one, well, hardly anyone, will be
>> searching for that term.
>> It's just a coincidence thing.
>
> Thanks Bill,
>
> The "search effectiveness" of the phrase isn't important to me, I'm not
> trying to generate traffic with it, but I would like to know what made
> Google think it should go there!
>
> Are you implying that because a phrase isn't searched for very often
> that Google will "randomly" position the results for that query rather
> than base it on some form of criteria?
>
> any other suggestions?

What "made Google thought it should go there" is the coincidence in
combining the words "E-commerce" and "prototype". That site does not have
many words in it, so the density of these words is high and the title in
particular hits the key words.

What is the relevance of the phrase "E-commerce prototype" anyway? I am not
being sarcastic, but I try to think from the point-of-view of a Google
user. Will someone have particular interest in so-called E-commerce
prototypes? Sounds a little fluffy to me.

As for your later question, Google optimise (manually) the more frequently
searched-for phrases. They need to divide their time and labour capacity to
assist most of their users and weed out spammers and irrelevancies where it
matters the most.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com