Re: Google slow for adding pages?

  • Subject: Re: Google slow for adding pages?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 15:10:08 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
Beach Comber wrote:

> Back around the 1st of February I started a new website.  It had a
> couple of inbound links from other sites of mine and I did a manual
> submission to Google, MSN, and Yahoo.  Since Teoma doesn't take manual
> submission, I have to wait for them to find me which they finally did
> over the weekend.
>
> Now, after five weeks, the search engine results are rather
> interesting.  Here is the list of indexed page counts for queries of
> the form "site:worldbeachlist.com" on the four engines:
>
> Google   1
> MSN     32
> Yahoo   11
> Temoa    0

Strange indeed /if/ your site has been up for months. Google should
typically be around 90% overall.

> Teoma is a lost cause, but Google is rather disappointing right now.
> What is more interesting is that Google has been deep crawling my site
> for nearly two weeks now and has looked at over 15,000 pages.  MSN and
> Yahoo have only touched a few pages, but those they did made it into
> the index in a few days.

>From my experience, Google takes at least a month to show something
sensible. It's organising its data in long cycles.

> Google seems to be really slow and dealing with new sites.  I know they
> are better about adding new content for existing sites being that I see
> USENET posts, which are mirrored on several websites, showing up in
> just a few days.

These post most probably reside on domains which have existed for quite some
time and have gained good ranking.

> What experiences have others had with their first deep crawl for a
> site?  Does Google usually not index until it has finished a deep
> crawl, or is it just slow at adding pages for new sites even when it
> starts the crawl?

How long has the site been up? How long has Google been crawling it? How
many inbound links can you identify?

Roy Schestowitz
http://schestowitz.com