Re: Medical Image Processing at SFU

  • To: "nikita.nagarajan@gmail.com" <nikita.nagarajan@gmail.com>
  • Subject: Re: Medical Image Processing at SFU
  • From: Martin Leese <please@see.Web.for.e-mail.INVALID>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 22:32:14 -0700
  • Newsgroups: sci.image.processing
nikita.nagarajan@gmail.com wrote:
Hi,
I plan to apply for my PhD at the Engineering Sciences Dept of Simon
Fraser University, Canada. I am interested in Medical Image Analysis
and am targetting the Medical Image Analysis Laboratory
(http://mial.fas.sfu.ca/index.php ) of SFU, a 2 yr old lab headed by
Profs Faisal Beg and Ghassan Hammerneh. Can anybody let me know the
reputation of this research group & the quality of research going in
there.
Hoping for some quick feedback on this. Thanks very much.
In earnest, Nikita.

First, I know nothing of SFU, its Medical Image Analysis Laboratory, or the people in it.

When considering where to do a PhD, the absolute
critical decision to make is the choice of
advisor.  The will make the difference between
a four or five year experience which is very
unpleasant and four or five years of absolute
*&^%$#@ hell.  (Me, bitter and twisted?  Never!)

When choosing an advisor, look at the following:

1.  Have they published?  Look them up in the
    Science Citation Index.
2.  Do they allow their graduate students to
    be first author on papers?
3.  Do they allow their grad students to put
    their name on the papers at all?
4.  Can they get, and so they have, funding?
5.  Are they somebody who you can look up to
    and respect?
6.  Are they somebody who you can look up to
    and respect for four or five years?  (This
    question is different from the previous
    one.)
7.  Are they somebody who will protect you
    from departmental in-fighting?  (Assistant
    profs are sometimes poor at this because
    they are bucking for tenure.)

The best way to find out about all this is to
talk to their *former* grad students, or
*former* grad students in the same department.

--
Regards,
Martin Leese