Re: Multiple hotsyncs

  • Subject: Re: Multiple hotsyncs
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 15:49:28 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.sys.palmtops
RogerB wrote:

> I have a desktop, a laptop and two Sony Clie's and want them all
> hotsync'ed.
>
> The laptop is a recent addition.  Before it's inclusion I was able to
> keep the computer and two Clie's
> successfully hotsync'd.  Now I'm having trouble.  One new Contact
> originally put into
> the laptop is now on one of the Clie's, no longer on the laptop and
> never did appear on the other Clie or the desktop.
>
> Is there a certain sequence of Hotsync'ing to make sure all 4 units are
> identical?  Or another solution?
>
> RogerB

Roger,

Something tells me (having thought about this) that you will need to
synchronise any given PDA with both the desktop and the laptop before
making any more synchronisations/changes, which can cause 'confusions'. The
ideal solution would have probably been desktop-to-desktop(laptop)
synchronisation.

Here is my rationale:

Let us say you had an appointment with Mr. Smith at 2PM. You recorded it in
PDA1. You then synchronised it with the laptop. Desktop knows nothing about
it. Synchronising PDA2 with the desktop would be fruitless. Things become
even more complex if the meeting moves to 3PM. You then risk the
possibility of many conflicts.

My advice:

Do it like the gunslingers from the Wild West. Put PDA1 in cradle1 and PDA2
in cradle2. Synchronise both. Then switch the cradles (holsters) and
synchronise both again. This takes the duration of the longer HotSync x 2.

Roy Schestowitz
http://schestowitz.com