Re: Screen Size

Travis Newbury wrote:

> Lauri Raittila wrote:
>
>> That is bullshit. It is much less likely that your site will break if you
>> use % than px. I never understood how controlling every px on 50% of
>> browsers gives more control than making working layout for 90% of
>> users...
>
> That's because you do not understand the benefits (and power) of
> marketing, design, and layout.  You (seem to) believe that these are
> meaningless.  Others disagree with you.  Me, I am somewhere in the
> middle and think each site should use the combination that is more
> effective for their particular product, service and site.

Excellent point. You must use statistics to make decisions. With AWStats,
for example, it's possible to see that over 99% of visitors (in many cases)
set resolution to greater or equal to 800x600. Does it justify the
exclusion of the small minority? Not necessarily, but scrollbars are not
pure evil. It is worse when you have Window$ Media Player objects embedded
in your page.

> Things that make people come back to the official star wars site
> (www.starwars.com) are not the same things that will make people come
> back to www.dictionary.com.  The goals of the sites are as different as
> their needs. An all text star wars site is just as worthless as an eye
> candy filled dictionary.com site.

Dictionary is bloated, slow and has distractions. IMHO, one should always
use dict.org.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com