Re: Anti-Spam advice please

  • Subject: Re: Anti-Spam advice please
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 13:54:16 +0100
  • Newsgroups: uk.comp.misc
Vivian Dunn wrote:

> For ages I have managed to keep spam at bay - mainly by using a few simple
> message rules to remove most of it from my 'real' emails.
>
> However, it is now becoming a pain (particularly Ebay, Paypal phishing
> etc). Incidentally, I hope this is not because of posting a few messages
> on discussion groups like this?
>
> Anyway, can anyone recommend any good anti-spam software please -
> preferably freeware, if possible.
>
> Thanks.

I use newsgroups@schestowitz.com along with my UseNet identity; that account
gets about 10 spam items a day -- all of which attributed to on-line UseNet
archives. The more time goes on, the more ratbots will pick up that E-mail
address, i.e. the account is yet to get more badly hit.

To filter messages for that account I use a boxtrapper, which works like a
charm. This involves sending a verification request E-mail to anyone not
already in the whitelist. I also run spamassassin (which is free) on top of
that. Since these are server-level solutions, I doubt whether they will be
valuable to you, but remember: more E-mail addresses = more flexibility.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com