Re: search engine variations by location

  • Subject: Re: search engine variations by location
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 04:20:59 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
Borek wrote:

> On Mon, 23 May 2005 22:50:49 +0200, Steve <webmaster@melindaspenpals.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I have a website www.melindaspenpals.com where my google search engine
>> rank varies depending on my location.  I am #4 for "filipina penpals"
>> at home, but #11 at my place of work 20 miles a way.  Are there two
>> different googles?
>
> Much more. There are several tens of confirmed datacenters, every
> datacenter may give slightly different answers. I doubt it is
> location dependent, from what I have read datacenter is selected
> depending on the traffic. Check if you have always the same answer
>  from both computers - probably not.

These datacentres seem to be volatile at times. For one given search term,
there may be times where anomalies are spotted and I suppose this is why
you raised the question.

http://www.yourcache.com/

Enter your site and see if the numbers are consistent. Although figures
correspond to pages, it will give you insight into other data that's bound
to your domain.

>> Second, My PR for my home page seems to switch between PR4 and PR2
>> throughout the day.. I even deleted and reinstalled by tool bar,
>> cleared my cache but still this variation... why?
>
> See above.
>
> Best,
> Borek

Hope it helps,