Re: ridiculous search results

  • Subject: Re: ridiculous search results
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 16:12:01 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
Stacey wrote:

> I think you missed the point also. You didn't read all of the thread.
> There is *content* within that slide show. Google is not indexing nothing.
> The page is *relevant* to the search.

That piece of information only came later on in that discussion, I suspect.
I was under the impression that the page was void.

>>Need I even start a discussion about comment spam, which is a result of
>>that
>>nasty algorithm? Try starting your day, every single day, erasing P0ker
>>and V!agra comments from your pages.
>
> Don't allow people to post their URL's or make comments. It is the people
> who comment spam or allow them to do so not the SE's fault.:-)

I know, I know. *smile* I guess that SE's and interactive sites just can't
sit side by side.

>>...and then come Google et al. with a 'bugfix', telling everybody to
>>change links in pages to include rel="nofollow". I say: fix your bloody
>>methods. Don't tell us how to write our sites.
>
> Well, there could be a fix. Do not index any comments. Sure that would
> work. Why would you think that following links is a bug it isn't? Telling
> you how to make you site would be just don't allow people to comment.:-)

The steps I can take will not prevent evil, which is uninvited traffic and
spam comment attempts. It is the /majority/ of sites that attracts this
form of bots. The bots couldn't care less what gets indexed and what
doesn't. In fact, they can hit well-protected sites just for spite.

What upsets me, for example, is that half of my referrer URL's is spam.
Also, I might get hundreds of unique IP's on my site, all of which are
spammers' proxies. It adds a lot of 'noise' and makes me (and many others)
bitter.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com