Re: MOVE over, Mac Mini -- MiniPC runs Linux

__/ [Au79] on Wednesday 02 November 2005 05:44 \__

> Linux News - USA
>
> A Taiwanese systems integrator is readying a tiny Linux-powered PC
> likely to make even Mac Mini owners envious.
>
> <http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS8464432110.html>

<snip>

    The A-Open MiniPC will ship this month in the US through TigerDirect,
    with prices starting at $399, including the Linspire operating system.
    A $499 version running WIndows XP will also be available. The Pentium M
    version is likely to have a street price in the US of about $600.

</snip>

So, it was indeed made cheaper to go with Linux (sadly, not all vendors do
this). I got my recent SuSE Celeron for just $350 or so, but admittedly the
device above looks neater. Then again, it is less flexible, namely hard to
upgrade, has fewer ports, probably excludes all peripherals. Overall, it's a
nice little device, which to me is worth keeping an eye on.

Need I say something about the design though? Need I say anything about the
obscene resemblance to the Mac Mini. An Asian company has already gotten
itself in trouble for imitating the design and function of the iPod Shuffle.
Here is one among several:

http://www.makezine.com/blog/archive/2005/06/review_super_ta_1.html

Prepare for a frantic Steve Jobs...