Re: Free: Oracle Database 10g Express Edition

__/ [nelu] on Wednesday 02 November 2005 17:02 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> The  strategy  behind this revolves around lock-ins. You get hooked up  on
>> some  software  whose licence is limited to one CPU (according to  what  I
>> read  a  few days ago) and when you wish to extend, you're stuck.  Embrace
>> the users, let the user extend and then rob the user. For similar reasons,
>> Windows turned a blind eye to piracy in the late 80's and early 90's.
>
> I think that Microsoft is doing the same thing today in Asia. They're
> turning a blind eye to piracy in some asian countries and try to lock
> in users. I guess this is a good strategy for MS Asia as a lot of
> people are turning to Linux.

Yes, I suggest you have a glimpse at this very recent item:

http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/10/23/1712234&from=rss

Microsoft & Linux Should Co-Exist In China

     "In a recent report from China titled "Embattled Linux fights back", it
appears that Microsoft is just as embattled." From the article: "Citing an
executive at Microsoft headquarters, Lu said Linux and Windows should
co-exist. Microsoft in recent years has been struggling with an increasing
number of security flaws on its Windows platforms while Linux is generally
regarded as more secure. 'For users, openness increases the
trustworthiness,' said Lu."

[Links embedded in article]