Re: Microsoft Break Standards, Refuse to Support Imperfection

On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 07:01:48 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> This you are not going to believe, especially if you design for the Web.
>
> Microsoft have already decided to 'extend' RSS standards, which is outrageous
> on its own right:
>
> http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,121590,00.asp
>
> <snip>
>    "Microsoft is planning to extend the RSS (Really Simple Syndication)
>    standard to better support the publishing of ordered lists of information,
>    a company spokesperson says."
> </snip>

Outrageous in it's own right?  First, RSS is not a standard, other than a
defacto one.  There is no RFC, there is no ISO or ECMA or OASIS standards
for RSS.  It's just something that people started using.

Second, MS is extending RSS with the support of Dave Winer, the creator of
RSS.  Read more:

http://www.reallysimplesyndication.com/2005/06/22#a634

> Mind you, merely /any/ application in existence happily supports feeds that
> are invalid.
>
> Is it just me who is stunned? What a nerve they have!

I'm not sure what you're gettting at here.  Are you suggesting that
VIOLATING the xml standard is the correct thing to do?